Dresses, dresses and more dresses!

I recently watched the Great British Sewing Bee.  Boy did that get me in the mood for doing some sewing!  What with work and life, I hadn't done much in probably over a year.  And my lovely overlocker (serger) that my hubby bought me hasn't even been used and that was nearly 2 years ago he bought it for me.

So out came the sewing machine and the overlocker and I found some easy little girls dress patterns, printed them out and then got started.  The first dress I made was a very simple day/play dress...


But I didn't use my overlocker, I didn't really know what I was doing with it at this point (I know what they can do, just never really used one).  So I remembered a girls dress that was made on GBSB and they used French seams.  those I knew I could do, so I got to it and created some lovely French seams and a lovely little dress. 

Next was trying to get my overlocker going.  So I booked myself onto a local one day class for getting to know my overlocker and using it.  They said to me to bring along a project I was working on so that I could actually do something rather than just earn bits and pieces.  Well knowing what I'm like I needed to make sure I had several things to work on, a whole day just for one task, that's not me!  So I ended making four pairs of jersey knit baby joggers, a hat from jersey knit fabric and a dress!

I was on a roll!  So then I started knocking up some dresses out of ends of fabric that I had.  I made a whole bunch that are age 4 like the one above and then I tired a couple of other patterns that were a little larger, so for age 5/6...




Voila!  I then got a request for a larger size so made the day/play dress in an age 8/9...


I've now also added some smaller sizes age 2/3 in the day/play dress and the pinafore looking style too...



Cute huh?  Not difficult at all.  In fact they are fairly simple to make and I'm hoping to build up a little stock pile that I can take to craft fairs and see how I do with them.

Comments

Popular Posts